Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Sport management as an academic field prepares students for employment in the sport industry. This degree offers students opportunities to study managerial concepts while learning how to become transformational leaders in the business and culture of sports. It is an exciting and diverse discipline that draws from many fields of study.
This major is designed to address the unique position of sport in the global economy. Sport management students acquire knowledge and skills to work in a wide-ranging sport industry, and are prepared to pursue graduate degrees if they so desire. Sport management majors receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. In addition, a 12-credit certificate in sport coaching is available.
The goal of the core curriculum in sport management is to provide students with a broad theoretical and conceptual foundation in the field of sport management. The curriculum is designed to develop knowledge and skills in management, marketing, communication, and legal and ethical concepts, as well as psychological and sociological aspects of sport.
Career opportunities include positions in:
- Athletic administration
- Campus recreation
- Community sport management
- Event management
- Facility operations
- Marketing and promotions
- Youth sport administration
Why Study Sport Management at Grand Valley?
- A strong foundation in liberal arts and the ability to develop a high level of competence to make a positive impact in the sports environment.
- A combination of appropriate coursework and experiential learning intended to accommodate the diverse professional preparation needs of undergraduate students.
- Experiences that promote intellectual inquiry and develop sound professional ethics.
- Personal attention by faculty members in our student-oriented program.
- Opportunities for students to complete volunteer and internship experiences locally, nationally, and internationally to better prepare them for the professional workplace.
Sport Management Club
Students are encouraged to become involved while on campus through volunteer and internship experiences as well as membership in the Sport Management Club. The Sport Management Club provides students with an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the various fields of sport management. Organization members participate in campus and community projects, learn about different sport careers from industry professionals, and attend student trips to sport facilities and conferences. Meetings are held regularly and are open to all GVSU students.