Parking Lot Updates
Parking Update: Week of 3/20 - 3/25
Grand Valley State University is proud to host a number of events on the Allendale campus March 22-24, 2017 including the Robotics Competition, High School Track and Field, and the first annual Datafest competition. Ensuring ample parking for our faculty/staff and student commuters is our number one priority, and we assure you that there will be parking available. However, parking may not be as convenient as other days.
It is our suggestion you utilize the Rapid routes to commute to campus if possible, or allow extra time for your commute as Lot H may be the closet option. Just a reminder the Walker Fire Station and Standale Meijer have carpool areas with convenient Route 50 pickup every 4-7 minutes.
Overnight Parking Changes Effective 10/17/16
Attention all Lakers! Beginning Monday, October 17, overnight parking hours will now be 3a-6a. If you are a Rec Center member using the facility at 6a when they open, Lot C or Lot G will be available for you to park in.
Parking Changes for Fall 2016
In order to better service the Grand Valley State University community, Parking Services has made changes effective August 2016. The reasons are to provide equitable service, gain compliance, deter violators and provide an improved parking experience for those with valid parking permits. Research was evaluated from parking operations at various Michigan universities, benchmark institutions in the Midwest and the city of Grand Rapids.
Parking Permit Citations
Costs of violations have not increased in the past decade. In an effort to gain balance in compliance and deter potential violators the following changes were made.
- No Permit Displayed Violation increased from $20 to $35
- Improper Permit Violation increased from $20 to $25
- Improper Parking Violation increased from $20 to $30
The temporary parking permits will no longer be available to our students at no cost. This change is in an effort to to be equitable to all students choosing to bring a vehicle to campus. The following changes were made.
- $6 Daily charge for temporary permits
- Temporary permits can be sold one week at a time and can only be for consecutive days
- Temporary permits are limited to 20 days per semester per student
- A photo ID and G# will be used to charge the student’s account directly
Short-term (pay-to-park) Meter and Pay Stations
- Rate will be increase to $2.50
- Commuter permits will be $400 per year / $200 per semester - Full-time student
- Commuter permits will be $220 per year/ $110 per semester - Part-time student
- Lot J permits will be $130 per year / $65 per semester
Hours of Operation
- New hours of operation: Monday - Thursday 6:00 am - 10:00 pm Friday: 6:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Overnight parking is enforced from 3 am to 6 am. Overnight parking is accommodated only in residential lots.
- Anyone needing overnight parking in a residential area will need to obtain a temporary overnight permit before 10 pm or after 6 am
All permits will be billed to student accounts based on credit hours.
For those leaving or graduating from GVSU, please return your permit to either campus safety office, or it will be deactivated.
If you have any questions contact parking services at (616) 331-PARK (7275) during business hours.
April 21, 2017
Are you an on-campus resident wondering how you'll cram a year's worth of things into your compact vehicle? We can't help you with that, but we can help you with parking!
*** Parking Services will no longer be issuing temporary permits after 10:00pm Sunday - Thursday and 5pm on Fridays. Guests requiring overnight parking permits will be required to obtain a permit during regular business hours. See Parking Services Hours of Operation. ***
*** Beginning August 2016 - The Free 20 days of student temporary permits (paper permits) will no longer be available. ***
Visitor Lot at The Marketplace - Is a short-term (maximum of two hours) pay to park only lot (.50 cents per 15 minutes). Parking in ADA compliant reserved spaces in this lot will require payment and is limited to a two hour stay. Payment options include: cash, credit card and Parkmobile. This lot is enforced 24/7.
Lot C and D during Move-In 2016- will be closed Monday 8/21 - 8/26 to accommodate move-in. During these three days, faculty and staff working on the north end of campus are asked to park in lots F, G and H. We appreciate your cooperation during these three days as we actively move in our students.
D1 will be remain closed 8/25 and 8/26 for the Holton-Hooker dedication.
Lot Z (Campus Health Center/AGS) - Either a Faculty/Staff permit or Student Commuter (RED) permit will be required. Patient only designated parking spaces will be enforced.
Prospect Lot (East of CHS)- Lot for Tenant and Faculty/Staff parking with metered visitor spaces available. This lot replaced the Lafayette Lot.
Eberhard Center - Faculty/Staff reserved spaces are accommodated for a two hour stay. Visitors are welcome to park and pay at meters or by displaying a visitor permit. Gate arms have been removed and parking is actively being enforced.
Parking Changes for Fall 2016
- Enforcement of all GVSU lots will begin the first day of class. If you are bringing a car to campus, you will need a permit or pay to park at a meter or pay station. Avoid a $35 (No Permit Displayed) citation. Daily student permits are available for purchase for $6 at Public Safety or Pew Campus Security and will be billed directly to student accounts.
- Faculty and Staff - If you have not received a new permit, please leave last years permit on your vehicle. Faculty/Staff permits expiring 8-14-2016 will be considered valid for the first two weeks of classes.
- Adjunct Faculty with fall only contracts will receive a white Fall Faculty window decal which is good until 12-31-2016. Once a contract for winter has been processed HR will request a new permit be issued and blue Faculty/Staff permit will be issued good until 8-14-2017.
- Motor pool and rental vehicles are now located in the Lot D3. Vehicles were formerly located in Lot D6 and accommodated all passengers. The change
- Overnight parking for trips will be accommodated in Lot J and a GVSU permit is required.
- Lot F and the NE portion of Lot G have been reserved for Faculty and Staff.
- Lot Z (Campus Health Center/AGS) will require either a Faculty/Staff permit or Student Commuter (RED) permit. Patient only designated parking spaces will be enforced.
- Short-term parking rates have increased from $2.00 to $2.50 an hour with the maximum of a two-hour stay.
- This fall the university will also be introducing new signage designed to help guests and visitors to our campus easily understand and identify visitor short-term parking.
Commons Lot Closed - For Non-Service Traffic
This fall Dept. of Public Safety moved forward to closing access to Commons Service Drive to all non-service vehicles. Please beware we are actively enforcing for non-compliance and those in violation of parking rules and regulations. This area is not available for drop-offs and is enforced 24/7 including weekends.